On 22/05/13 at 08:22 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >> As Debian, we have two different problems:
> >> 1. We need to decide which init systems we want to support, and how.
> >> 2. We need to decide which init system should be the default.
>
> We will have a GR about that.

(I assume that by "about that", you mean (2). For (1), we only need
people to do the work.)

While this is a possible outcome, I think that this is rather unlikely.
If it happens, it would be the most technical GR ever seen so far, and a
failure, as we would not have been able to achieve a decision by other
means.
Also, it would be very inefficient to ask every DD to acquire sufficient
knowledge about init systems to be able to take an informed decision
about that.

Instead, if the decision of which one should be the default is not
consensual by the time we have made sufficient progress on supporting
the various init systems (policy changes, understanding how they can
coexist and how packages can migrate to them), I think that it would be
a good solution to ask the technical committee to decide on that.

Lucas