On 11/06/13 00:37, Jens Roder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just like to add that today this "feature" with the popup blocked my gnome
> within the suspend procedure, which I did not see but got a hot running
> laptop in the bag. When I opened the laptop again I saw the problem and when
> clicking on cancel, the laptop finally when to suspend.

That could explain one or more of the hot laptop experiences I had
before - I had assumed the power management or kernel was at fault,
although in my case it was so hot that it was unresponsive and I never
found out what really caused it:

If that is the case, then it provides more reason to disable the popup
by default in stable
> I think, just naming something a "feature" belongs more to microsoft behavior
> and shouldn't be copied in the linux world. A few things maybe useful but not
> for all people. Giving people the choice is the main point here. Whether you
> create a package that configures all with the funny new "features" and leave
> it to the user, if he wants this configuration or just uninstalls it to have
> a more conservative behavior for server setups.
>
> I think it is a big mistake to design desktops with similar behaviors like
> one knows from the windows world. Most popup do not make any sense and
> interrupt people by working. Upcoming programs stealing the mouse, refocus,
> or resize are just annoying when writing a document.
>
> The new gnome 3 desktop is nice, except it goes snow when too many windows
> are open (for a CTWM no problem) or it blocks the desktop switching because
> flashplayer freezes and gnome3 cannot access the graphics of the window. Nice
> features but cause serious problem, similar like this uninforming root
> password question and blocking the screen for wlan passwords. There is no
> need to block the screen as it can accidently pop up while writing a document
> and one would like to finish the sentence before typing a password. Such
> things come with force, rather than with the option of action which is a more
> elegant design. And another final problem are program menus which grap the
> mouse and when the program freezes, there is no way to release the mouse
> again execpt going out of X and into the consoles to kill the process.
> Recently skype's technical information window did not vanish. From gome menu
> I chose "close window" what it then did, but it took all with it and did
> freeze the desktop, even CTRL+ALT+F1 did not work to go out. Was a reboot and
> not nice
>
> I suggest to create window managers more independent from programs in order
> to increase stabilization. Also even when configured strict mouse behavior,
> the new upcoming program first graps the mouse and when moving it over the
> next window, it does not follow, here one has to click, after all is fine. I
> really suggest, give people more choice to configure things like they like or
> they are used to. X window system and window manager together have really
> nice features, just try not to make it like microsoft windows.

I've also seen another laptop that is on the fringe of a wifi coverage
zone getting into a bad state where multiple copies of the wifi password
window appear - if the laptop is unattended for a few hours, you can
come back to it and find 1,000s of those popups and it is unusable.