Am 12.06.2013 19:18, schrieb Adam Borowski:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:59:31AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> Why is gcc built multi-lib anyway?
>>
>> because developers expect to work it. there is a lot of code which just uses
>> -m32/-m64 which should not deliberately broken.
>
> This explains i386/amd64 multilib, which, while an ugly thing that needs to
> die, can be indeed used by old build systems.

this is your opinion, which I don't share.  multiarch was proposed a decade ago,
yet it is not there as a replacement.  it is there to provide buildabilty of our
64bit kernels for s390, sparc, powerpc, mips.  So we do rely on this feature,
and calling it "ugly" is your opinion.

> This does not provide a reason to introduce x32 multilib, though.

it's good to have a working toolchain to run some tests, benchmarks and other
stuff for x32.  having x32 as a foreign architecture is almost impossible as
long as x32 is not in the archive.

  Matthias