> The bigger problem for a Debian LTS is this: 1. who is going to do
> security support for it ?

The same people that maintain the packages in sid and stable: the
maintainer(s) for each package. For orphaned packages, NMUs by other
developers or even a new maintainer team ("foster-car...@debian.org").
Providing fixes, security or not, is our part of our duty as Debian
developers. Sure, packaging new upstream versions is always more exciting
than fixing a broken version/package but it needs to be done.

> 2. How are we going to deal with
> drivers for new hardware - upgrade the kernel to LTS+1's ?

AFAIK Ubuntu does not add drivers for new hardware to any version save for,
maybe, some exceptional cases (that I cannot remember, frankly).

Quite the opposite: it's the hardware manufacturers themselves who are
compelled to provide drivers for RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu LTS due to customers
asking. That's why there is an option to "load drivers from disk" at the
very beginning of installation (isolinux prompt) on RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org