Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> writes:
> Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> writes:

>> You can trim the history at any commits you want.

> Trimming the history of commits doesn't help.  In order to have
> something that's equivalent from a license review standpoint, you have
> to rebase all of the commits into something akin to the quilt
> presentation, which means merging commits that make a single change in
> multiple chunks, collapsing history, and so forth.  Otherwise, all the
> intermediate commits have to be double-checked for licensing, which is
> exactly the concern.

I guess I should add here that you can, of course, collapse everything
into two intermediates: the upstream tree and the current state of the
package.  That's *sort of* equivalent to 3.0 (quilt) with
single-debian-patch, and that doesn't require any rebasing.  That does
solve the problem for those folks who are using single-debian-patch, like
I am.

I guess I was too focused on the use case of 3.0 (quilt) with something
like git-dpm or the like, which maintains separate patches for each
change.  That's the case that's hard to reproduce with 3.0 (git) without
rebasing (since, for example, the commits that make up that change may be
interwoven, so simply dropping commits from history doesn't really help).

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>