On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 09:00 +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 01:47:00AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 10:40 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > Why force
> > > *every* user of the installer to make that choice, when many of them
> > > find the very question to be a needless imposition which makes the
> > > installer incrementally less helpful?
> > Sorry, but we're talking about Debian!
> >
> > I don't think that our target audience are people who cannot make such
> > choices, and even if that would be our desired audience (a feeling which
> > I have with *buntu) than our actual audience is probably another one.

[…]

> I know how to make the choice. I don't fucking want to. Unless I'm
> needing to do a customised install for particular needs, I want Debian
> to provide me with defaults that just work. I don't care if the
> default choices are the ones I would choose myself, I can make changes
> later on.

I think that choosing a desktop environment is one of the *very few* things
that a completely new user would actually be interested in and I believe that
we should strive to make it easy and pleasant for them to do so.

Keep in mind that even choosing a desktop environment on a whim would yield
good results if all "blessed" desktop environments (gnome, kde, xfce and lxde)
are well maintained and users can still switch later on. As a new user I would
welcome a webpage or installer menu that shows one screenshot with a short
description of the environment in question. Experienced users will already
know what they want and can select that right away.
--
Wolodja <deb...@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC