From: Andrew Kane <ak...@freegeekseattle.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Ian Campbell <i...@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 13:31 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > ...I've been
> > told multiple times that we still have a non-negligible set of users
> > owning/running hardware that can't do DVDs.
>
> The set of hardware which can't boot from DVDs *or* boot from a USB
> stick must surely be pretty tiny. (AIUI it is the DVD ISOs which can be
> thrown onto a stick, so throwing away CDs wont hurt that)
>
> Add in "or boot from network" and it must be a minuscule set.
>
> Ian.

As someone who deals with a lot of random donated hardware, I can
attest that we run into these cases frequently. It may be rare that
new systems lack these capabilities, but then installing Debian on
non-server (or even non-virtual) hardware is rare also. TBH my
organization installs Xubuntu by default due to policy inherited from
the parent org.

--
Helping Seattle's Needy Get Nerdy
http://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Free_Geek_Seattle:About