Hi!

[ CCing debian-devel to get input from possibly afftected users. ]

On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 15:14:22 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Package: dpkg-dev
> Severity: wishlist
> File: /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage
>
> Please disable signing by default. Generally the right thing to do for
> most dpkg-dev users is to have dpkg-buildpackage *not* auto-sign
> anything. Almost all dpkg-dev users (except buildds) should test and
> check the package *before* signing and uploading the package. We have a
> volunteer for adjusting the buildds (in CC) if needed and I volunteer to
> adjust any documentation outside of dpkg-dev that needs changing.

The difference between this request and the one about not signing
UNRELEASED builds, is that this one has way greater user impact, and
the latter is supposedly not meant to be signed (in the general case)
anyway.

I guess it's probably a good idea to switch the default, becuse I
assume most maintainers do more test builds than final ones. Or users
who either don't have gpg installed or don't have a gpg key. Although
with the current no-signing-UNRELEASED behaviour, the need for -us -uc
should have dropped in many cases.

In any case, this is about the tool best global default, irrespective of
any future possibility of setting local defaults through a configuration
file or similar.

If most people agree this would be an improvement, and not just an
annoyance, I'm happy to do the change. But there's few things that I'd
want to tackle first:

 * signing would get rafactored into a new program so that users do
   not need to manually mangle the .changes file, rebuild or require
   devscripts for something that was possible out-of-the-box.
 * (possibly) new options would get added to specify signing, although
   there's --force-sign since 1.17.0, which could be used already on
   the buildds.
 * (possibly) wait for a grace period with warnings and the above
   available so that users can switch scripts/programs gracefully,
   before the flag day.

Thanks,
Guillem