Hi,

While we can discuss during literally *years* about which init system to
use, I think it's more productive to try to improve what we have in
packages, so I'd like to talk about that.

One thing that bothers me is that some of our sysv-rc init.d scripts
aren't using /bin/sh as interpreter.

For example, on my laptop, the only one that I have is MySQL. Then after
fixing the shebang and running checkbashism, I can only see:

possible bashism in /etc/init.d/mysql line 86 (echo -e):
            echo -e "$ps_alive processes alive and '$MYADMIN ping' resulted
in\n$ping_output\n" | $ERR_LOGGER -p daemon.debug

That's it... So that's a typical case where it should be possible to fix
things, and get rid of bash.

If possible, I'd like to make a survey of what kind of interpreter
packages are using for /etc/init.d scripts. How can I do that? Note that
this would make OpenRC maintainer's life more easy, and avoid ugly hacks.

Is it too late to fix this as a release goal, so that we get every init
script to use /bin/sh?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)