Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo dijo [Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23:33PM +0100]:
> >Quoting Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo (2014-04-24 21:48:47)
> >>a) the minified .js is still source code, by definition.
> >
> >Which definition?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minified
>
> Basically, no matter how much you contort a script in a scripting language
> (bash, python, etc), if it can be interpreted by the interpreter of the
> language
> (not bytecode or so), it is source code, right?  Mildly obfuscated perhaps
> (but
> not malicious in this case), but still source.  Am I missing something?
>
> So the lintian error saying that the source code of a source code file is
> missing, is a bit... mmm, not the same as a .swf file, or a compiled binary,
> or
> firmware blobs without source.

We have beaten this horse way past the point where we want to continue
beating it.

"Source" can mean many things. What we need is a "preferred form for
modification". It is possible for me, yes, to modify (say, bugfix) a
minified JS. It is just very, very hard for me to get it right.

You could say that .jar Java files are valid source, because they get
interpreted by a virtual machine (which is still just an interpreter —
for a language that looks just right compiled code). You can even say
that my ARM binaries are source, because they can be interpreteded on
QEMU under x86 computers. But that does not let us (developers) modify
or bugfix it.

And even having a pointer to the upstream project is not enough: We
have to ship full sources, both for (part of) our licenses'
requirements, and to be able to properly support our projects in the
future. If http://some.developer.net/projects/JS-Foo disappears from
the Internet, then libjs-foo (which only ships foo.min.js) will no
longer be maintainable.

> BTW, I don't know JS (other than for similarity with other languages), but out
> of curiosity I tried this from node-uglify package and it looks prettier and
> more readable than some Python code (not to speak about Fortran) that I see
> everyday, or 30K line 'configure' scripts.  Basically it's missing comments
> and
> most original object/variable names, but member/method names of common
> libraries
> make the code more or less easy to follow -- if you somehow cannot go to grab
> the unminified jquery version for whatever reason.

If it's missing function and variable names, a skilled developer will
have some head-scratching time trying to figure out what a simple
function does. And if you suggest minifying a "trivial" file such as
query.js... Well, that will ensure everybody you have been away from
JS development ;-)