Le lundi 28 avril 2014 à 19:16 +0900, Osamu Aoki a écrit :
> I, as the ibus maintainer, tend to update ibus with almost the same
> compile options and patches used for the latest Fedora packages to make
> it behave well with GNOME3.  (But I am also careful not to disable
> supports for other desktop environments, though it is becoming extremely
> difficult.)  This is because Fedora is certainly the reference platform
> of GNOME3 and upstream developers are the ones applying patches when
> releasing to the Fedora and also we lack resources to do anything more.
>
> Recently, Fedora (now 21 is the latest) has been building for wayland and
> building Python packages with Python3.
>
>          fedora         rhel
> wayland  20 or later    8 or later
> python3  21 or later    8 or later
>
> What is the schedule/plan for Debian to adopt these when upstream (i.e.,
> Fedora) changes its default?  Should I enable them for Jessie?

In jessie we’d like to ship X as default and Wayland as an option. So
Wayland support in our packages should definitely be added at some time.

> Also, we have decided to use systemd as default init system.  Then my
> question is how gdm3 and X session scripts are started from there?  Any
> transition plan? ibus needs to have its daemon started for some
> programs. (But not for GNOME3/KDE ones since they are usually supported
> via library calls).  Currently, ibus is started by im-config hook script
> in /etc/X11/Xsession.d.  (I maintain im-config too.)
>
> Recent default Ubuntu display manager under upstart seems to start some
> part of X session autostart script from upstart.  So some of the startup
> code used in /etc/X11/Xsession.d by Xsession was copied to upstart
> configuration file by some Ubuntu maintainer.  Should I expect similar
> action is needed for gdm3 under systemd?  What happens with other DE?  I
> certainly need help on this.

For the jessie release, I don’t see a realistic way to remove support
for Xsession.d. Any package that uses it should still just work.

However, applications without very specific needs should use, as much as
possible, the autostart mechanism (/usr/share/gnome/autostart) instead
of shell scripts. For such applications, gnome-session in jessie should
use systemd if available. I don’t think the file format will change; if
it does, we will of course warn all maintainers in advance and provide
help with the migration.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette