On 05/11/2014 03:18 AM, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 19:47:10 +0100, Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat 10 May 2014 at 12:05:25 -0400, John wrote:
>>
>> A couple of quotes from your mail:
>>
>>> "I find myself appalled at the rude and domineering attitudes of
>>> almost all systemd's defenders."
>>
>> You're not looking for flames? You're kidding, aren't you? Your
>> technical question is wrapped up in flame-baiting.
>
> Sorry if that comes around at flame-baiting, but John describes the
> way the systemd world socially interacts with its outside quite
> accurately. It is the same for me: social interaction with systemd
> (and this includes reading bug reports and mailing lists without
> participating actively) takes fun out of using Linux for me just for
> the social sake.
>
> Something along the lines of systemd is technically needed and a good
> idea, but the people behind it do not come along nice.

Well said. This expresses a large and important part of my own viewpoint
on this.

Even if you change nothing about the software itself, think about how
you present yourselves, people! Saying something different, or even only
saying the same thing differently, can make a very large difference in
how people perceive and react to you - and to what you're advocating.

I don't post often, but when I do, I often go well out of my way and
take considerable trouble to try to get this right. (Though I also often
fail in the attempt.)

- --
   The Wanderer ("me too!")

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.