Hi Julien,

On 28.07.2014 10:44, Julien Cristau wrote:
It remains to be seen, what the release team prefers: frustrated users and
developers or both forks in jessie.

The release team is likely to let the people involved in multimedia foo
fight it out among themselves and pick a winner.

I am not interested in a "fight" and would prefer it very much if this discussion remained purely technical. Having a fresh memory of the last fight that took place on debian-devel, I do not think that repeating a similar disaster is a good idea.

 We're not going to ship both and hand that mess over to the security team.

Could you please explain what "mess" you are talking about?

According to the changelog[1], there have been 8 security updates for ffmpeg in squeeze. Two of them (4:0.5.6-2 and 4:0.5.6-3) do not contain security related fixes, but rather fix build failures of the previous security upload, so they do not really count. That makes about 6 security fix uploads in about 3 years for squeeze, i.e. 1 upload per 6 month.

If there were both forks in Jessie, this might double the number of uploads to 12 in 3 years, but probably some of them could also go through stable-updates instead of stable-security.

Is that an unbearable burden?

A lot of other software in Debian has already alternatives, like desktop environments, web browsers, text editors and even init systems.

Why should this not be the case for a multimedia framework?

There is also one particularly similar case, as in the packages are forks and require many security updates:
MySQL and MariaDB are currently in Debian testing.

Just for comparison, MySQL in squeeze had 3 uploads to stable-security and 3 to oldstable(-security) [2].

As I mentioned this particular example in my discussion with Moritz, he said that the security team will "be working with the release
team to sort this out for jessie"[3].

Now, 5 months later, he seems to have changed his mind, as I am not aware of any such attempt, but instead Moritz seems to support both [4][5].

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.

Best regards,
Andreas

1: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/f/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_0.5.10-1_changelog 2: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/m/mysql-5.1/mysql-5.1_5.1.73-1_changelog
3: https://bugs.debian.org/729203#435