On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 11:48 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> >> The coreutils maintainer may still decide to do just that.
> >> That’s what would help the most.
> >In a few years, when /{bin,sbin,lib}/ will be folded in /usr/, this will
> >be meaningless anyway.
>
> Ah. That explains your plans. Making life with a split-off /usr as
> hard as possible to that people migrate to /usr on / because of the
> artificially caused pain.
>
> Thanks for making this clear.
>
> How liebenswürdig.

There is nothing artificial about this.  The split has never been very
clear, and most Unix systems made this change in the 90s.

So long as you boot with an initramfs, a separate /usr partition should
continue to work indefinitely.  But if you do not, you will probably
have to combine the partitions at some point in the future.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings