Hi,

Cameron Norman <camerontnor...@gmail.com> writes:
> Do you really think logind and systemd are the only pieces of C
> software that struggle with strings or config parsing? Those are
> definitely a couple of things that could be split out into a separate
> library so we all do not have to either (a) suffer through it,
> tediously writing another solution or (b) throw our software in
> systemd's git repo and use the same release cycle and license and all
> the other implications of being in the same repo (including not having
> commit access to your own software automatically).
>
> The config aspects especially so. It would be very positive if
> software knew they could just depend on a really simple library and
> get config parsing for basically free, since then users would
> eventually only have to know how to write one config format and
> software would only have to know how to read (parse) that same one.

There already are libraries to do that. For example libconfuse. If you
ask why not everyone (or systemd) uses them, the answer is the same as
to why one cannot blame the systemd people for not refactoring their parser
into a separate library: Everyone has different requirements of a config
file format and having one for all is hardly feasible.

Really, I have the feeling that once we start criticising that systemd
does not factor out their config-file parsing into a stable and
separately maintained library, we are really just grasping at straws in
finding flaws with it.

Best,

Axel Wagner