Source: linux-tools
Version: 3.16+63
Severity: normal

the Linux kernel sources include in the tools/hv directory
tools for using Linux in MS Hyper-V virtual machines.

The tools include hv-fcopy-daemon, hv-kvp-daemon, hv-vss-daemon

Especially hv-vss-daemon is needed to be able to use
Hyper-V "Live virtual machine backup" with Windows Server 2012 R2.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn614985.aspx says that
this is not supported in Debian.

It is supported in Ubuntu as they have packaged the daemons in their
linux-cloud-tools.

Red Hat supports it in the hyperv-daemons package and its dependents.

Failing to run this daemon in a VM where the backup is done via live
virtual machine backup might lead to filesystem corruption.

We had this now several times in our Hyper-V cluster. The linux kernel
gets an I/O error while trying to access the device, leading normaly
to a readonly mount of the filesystem. The filesystem has to be
manually checked.

Once we got a filesystem which was totally corrupted so that no fsck
was possible.

It would be a good idea to have this as soon as possible for jessie.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.0
  APT prefers testing-updates
  APT policy: (700, 'testing-updates'), (700, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)