On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 03:15:07PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015, at 11:04, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
>
> > I see how non-free firmware is needed, espacially if the installation
> > can't proceed due to missing network connectivity. But after it's done,
> > after the user (possibly completely oblivious of what they did) clicked
> > said button to proceed (he needed it anyways, right?), I'd like another
> > message of the like: "You know, when you clicked back then, we installed
> > non-free software. This is uncool because... Would you like to
> > deactivate it now?".
>
>  Firmware also receives updates and security updates, and they are no
>  joke.
>
> How Uncool would it be to increase the security risks of users that
> installed packages from non-free? I'd say uncool enough to never even
> suggest it.

Yeah, poor wording on my side. I didn't mean to suggest deactivating
non-free (updates) but deactivating, i.e. removing, the non-free
firmware all-together. The user might try to run the system without
additional firmware (which may even work), or may be driven to try
different devices - but at least the system is fully working at this
time. And it's user's choice.

Hauke