Am 21.11.2015 um 12:31 schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli <z...@debian.org>:

> - Do we offer any reasonable guarantee about the long term availability
>  of the XMPP service, e.g., for people that stop being Debian Project
>  Members?
>
>  I guess the answer here is "no", and it's a reasonable one. But we
>  should be clear on the matter, as it might affect people's decision on
>  whether switching to @debian.org as their main XMPP contact or not.

I would expect that only active DD/Contributors/… are reachable via a
debian.org XMPP address. The same as it is for mail addresses.

> - Can you recommend best practices and/or tools for migrating from a
>  primary XMPP identity to a new one?
>
>  I (shamefully) still use an @gmail.com address as my main XMPP
>  identity and I've been looking into migrating away since quite a
>  while. But I've hundreds of contact there and I don't really know how
>  to minimize their (and mine) pain during a migration. If anyone have
>  tips, I'll be very glad to hear about them.

This, indeed, is an interesting question and challenging task. I’ve been using
the below mentioned XMPP address for years now, but since I migrated from
Openfire to Prosody I’m able to provide an XMPP address for every domain I
host. Having one single point of contact (mail address) for mail, XMPP and SIP
is what users usually want. I see this at my work place as well: people don’t
like to tell others „you can reach me by mail at this address, but when you
want me to contact by Jabber then use the other address, oh, and when you want
to call me, then use another address…“ They usually want to tell others „Hey,
you can reach me at this address…“ (no matter of which protocol you are using).

So, migrating XMPP contacts is difficult and I have no better idea than writing
them a message that you moved over to a new address. This is similar to the
migration process when getting a new cell phone number.
Maybe someone can setup a service or tool that logs into your old XMPP contact
and either forwards incoming messages from your old XMPP account to the new one
or gives the other users some kind of automated notification that you can
reached now at the other address…

But in the end I expect people to be reached until their mail address,
regardless of which protocol I want to use. This will take some time, but I
think it’s the way to go. So the service Daniel set up with XMPP and RTC is the
right thing. Huge leap forward for Debian, I think! :-)

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: i...@jabber.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc