Bernd Zeimetz:
> Hi,

>> So how will we deal with the migration from -dbg to -dbgsym for
>> jessie -> stretch?
>>
>> * Should we keep transitional -dbg packages around even if the
>> -dbgsym packages are in another archive?

To be honest, I do not think this will make sense/work (for that purpose
at least).  Either you end up with:

 * an transitional package that will *not* bring in the dbgsym
   package, OR
 * a transitional package that *cannot* be installed/upgraded without
   the user having enabled the debug archive.

Though, it is entirely possible that we need to keep transitional
packages for -dbg packages if apt have issues coping with the upgrade path.

>> * Are we going to tell people in the release notes that we expect
>> 'apt dist-upgrade' to remove plenty of -dbg packages and if they
>> still need them to reinstall the -dbgsym version?

Of the two ideas you proposed, this is the one that makes most sense to
me.  Though, I have not thought that long about it. :)

> * And what do with -dbg packages which no not only contain debug
> symbols from dh_strip, but also debug information from/for other
> languages/interpreters?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernd
>
> [...]

I would be interested in working people on extending the existing debug
symbols packages to be able to include such, when it can be done
completely automatically (in the general case) via build helper tools. :)

Thanks,
~Niels