On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 12:23:20PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> m...@linux.it (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> > Thanks to my conversion program in usrmerge there is no need for a flag
> > day, archive rebuilds or similar complexity and we can even continue to
> > support unmerged systems.
>
> Is there any use case that requires supporting unmerged systems?

I don't think so.  You already need the / filesystem, and with today storage
sizes, if you can hold that, you can hold the whole system, period.  Even on
any embedded that can run Debian.

The last time I've seen a split done due to small / was Maemo ten years ago.
And guess what?  They didn't use / vs /usr but hacked something where both /
and /usr were on the small mmc while big /opt hold most of the files, with
symlinks from /usr.  That's because their needs were different from those of
Ken Thompson in 1971.

A reasonable and often important split is keeping /+/usr apart from a box's
main purpose, be it /home, /srv or /var/lib/postgresql -- but in any case
both / and /usr will be on the same filesystem.

Thus, I'd say /usr is pointless on any machine we can reasonably support.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.