On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:37:48PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I do recall our conversation at Debconf.  That was however, I believe,
> an agreement only between teams.  I believe we cannot impose team rules
> on Debian as a whole: I can file a _whishlist_ bugreport against a
> package requesting it to follow team rules, but not raise severity based
> on team rules, I believe.
>
> What I try ask here is the general logic - not just how to untangle the
> concrete issue.  What is "the correct technical decision"?

IMO both in this specific case, and in the general case, the correct
technical decision is to track the actual upstream as a proper
Javascript package (supporting both browser usage and NodeJS, if it
makes sense), and make the convenience packages for other languages use
and depend on the proper Javascript one.

I think this situation is exactly the same as convenience copies of C
libraries: we always want to have a single copy of each library in the
archive, first because of security updates, but also to keep some level
of sanity. In most cases we will be able to do that, and in a few cases
we will have to make -- temporary, one hopes -- exceptions.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terce...@debian.org>