Hi Lars,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 05:27:43PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 03:44:54PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > snapd is available in Debian unstable for roughly the past two weeks.

> Disclaimer: I've never used snap packages, and I haven't even read
> their documentation.

I hope I'll convince you to give them a try ;)

> Given that snapd therefore seems to be, in practice, only usable by
> Canonical's server, shouldn't the package be in contrib instead of
> main? At least until such time as there is a server side of this that
> can realistically be used with snapd (without changing its source) and
> that is free software.

The point has been made that there are lots of other clients in Debian main
that only talk to a single, proprietary server implementation; so if snapd
did only talk to the Canonical store, I believe its placement in main would
still be consistent with archive policy / past Technical Committee
decisions.

But as it turns out, the Canonical store is *not* the only game in town.
Since snapd talks a straightforward REST API, there is already a separate
Free implementation:

  https://github.com/noise/snapstore/

And there's talk of including this in the snapcore upstream project as a
reference implementation:

  http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/06/howto-host-your-own-snap-store.html

> Furhter, the snapd package description is as follows:

>   This package contains systemd services that need to run on ubuntu core
>   systems.
>   .
>   This package should not be installed on a Desktop system.

> This seems to not be relevant for a package that's meant to install
> snap pacxkages on a Debian system. I think it should be replaced by
> something that is more useful to a Debian user/sysadmin.

Agreed, and bug #827906 is open about this, to be fixed soon!

Cheers,
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org