Ritesh Raj Sarraf writes ("Re: TMPDIR - Do we also need a drive backed TPMDIR
?"):
> Some more search pointed the following link that talks about /var/tmp
> So this could be the answer to DTMPDIR (Disk TMPDIR).

You are using `survives reboots' as a proxy for `on disk'; and using
`on disk' as a proxy for `has enough space for large amounts of data'.
I don't think this is a good approach.

It's true that /tmp has traditionally been smaller than /var/tmp,
partly as an accident of partition and filesystem layout.

As a practical matter, there are big performance gains to be had from
not requiring across-reboot (and, particularly, across-crash)
persistence.

Perhaps the right answer is instead that we should simply configure
more swap by default ?  (IIRC tmpfs data can be swapped.)

Ian.