Hi everyone,

Recently, the upload python-cryptography broke pyopenssl, and pyopenssl
had to be upgraded to support the new python-cryptography (I don't have
the exact details, but it doesn't mater much here...).

Someone is insisting that I should set the minimum version of
python-openssl in my packages, just to avoid the bug of pyopenssl. I
replied that if we were to do so in Debian, the work would be
exponential, and that this is not what we should do: the bug in
pyopenssl has been fixed (in a record time, I should also mention), and
it is my opinion that there's no work required on my package that depend
on python-openssl.

Am I right that I should do nothing on my packages, or should we
*really* modify about 54 source packages just to avoid a bug in one of
the dependencies? What if we have a bug on a high profile package with
hundreds of reverse dependencies?

Moreover, all versions of pyopenssl are perfectly working with these
packages. It's just if you don't select well the couple python-openssl +
python-cryptograhy that there's such an issue. Pushing a higher version
may potentially add work for backporting to stable (and I maintain the
backports of 9 of these 54 packages, btw).

What's the view of my Debian buddies here?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: For those not into python stuff, of course, pyopenssl is the source
package for python-openssl...