On 10/18/2016 05:29 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2016 08:27 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> This is so wrong, I would like to ask that this package not be allowed
>> into Debian until it's fixed.
>
> I agree this could be marked RC and stopped from going to a stable
> release. But do we stop accepting new packages in unstable because there
> are serious bugs?

Well, maintainers should always try to make sure that newly uploaded
packages don't immediately contain RC bugs. That doesn't always work
and I don't think "contains RC bug" should necessarily mean the
package can't go to unstable - but there's a limit, and just because
it's unstable doesn't mean that there shouldn't be at least minimal
standards.

If the package so clearly fails to achieve its _only_ goal as in
this case, I think it's a good idea to delay accepting it into the
archive until it's fixed.

That said, I don't want to discourage you, and to provide something
more productive for the discussion, I'd like to point you to the
following package:

https://github.com/sindresorhus/pwuid

This should help to fix the bug in question. [1]

I'll not say more here, because none of this is really your fault.
Instead I'd like to thank your for all the effort you put into
packaging, and I really am completely in awe of your persistence.
But I do think one of the things that makes Debian great is that
there are some standards that we've come to expect from packaged
software, and this specific package _currently_ just doesn't meet
even the bare minimum standards for unstable - in my opinion. I
hope there's going to be a fixed version of the package soon so it
may enter Debian and you can proceed with the other dependencies.

Regards,
Christian

[1] Funnily enough it's from the same author.