Ole Streicher writes ("Re: Auto reject if autopkgtest of reverse dependencies
fail or cause FTBFS"):
> Sorry, I don't understand this. How can I get a reverse dependency
> removed (from unstable)?

You wouldn't.  You would need to get it removed from testing.

> And why should I get responsible for poorly
> maintained reverse dependencies?

This is more of a sticking point.  I don't know what proportion of CI
failures are going to be due to poorly maintained reverse
dependencies.

But the real answer to this is that "Debian testing should be kept
releaseable" and that means that if your rdepends are busted such that
your changes cause lossage, something has to give.

> The idea of getting informed that a certain upload causes problems in
> other packages is however great.

Maybe an intermediate position would be to respond to a CI failure by:
 * Increasing the migration delay for the affecting package
 * Notifying the affected package maintainers

> BTW, there were some discussions at debconf about getting an E-mail on
> CI test status changes; this would also be a nice thing.

Yes.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.