On 01/25/2017 03:16 PM, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> For investigating a crash, you may not need to recompile: first
> try installing the debug symbols package (icedove-dbg).
> For already known bugs, see
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=icedove

I started down that route and decided I want to try compiling it and
playing around with it myself...though I might instead focus on that
route if this doesn't work.

> If you still want to recompile, you're missing
> $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
> but a Python error isn't what I'd expect from missing that
> (it's mostly the C/C++ compiler).

I just confirmed that installing build-essential doesn't work and it
still throws the same error. Should I open up a bug report for this?
Does this count as a bug?

> Official packages are built inside a chroot using sbuild
> ( https://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/ ,
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=icedove&arch=amd64&ver=1%3A45.6.0-2&stamp=1484088508&raw=0
>  ),
> but plain dpkg-buildpackage / debuild should also work.

Does there happen to be any "input" log for that log? I see the echoed
output, but I can't see the script that was executed.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,
Thomas