On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Andrey Rahmatullin <w...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:15:32AM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> I'd like to discuss addition of a new lintian checks for
>> getenv/setenv/putenv used in shared libraries.
> Do you know any packages that would fail that?
> Did you mean *jpeg* ones would?

I've used the demo program mixed with djpeg.c (see demo.c attached),
and got a segfault running (run for ~30s)[*]:

$ gcc -o demo demo.c -lpthread -ljpeg && ./demo

So yes, I am trying to raise severity on bugs I reported before 778909
& 778910. I suspect other libs may use getenv, hence asking for an
automated lintian check, but you are right maybe there are no others
out there since I did not check.

[*] You'll get a killed job since this quick & dirty demo does not
deallocate memory.
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <jpeglib.h>

static void* worker(void* arg) {
  for (;;) {
    int i;
    char var[256], *p = var;

    for (i = 0; i < 8; ++i) {
      *p++ = 65 + (random() % 26);
    }

    *p++ = '\0';

    setenv(var, "test", 1);
  }

  return NULL;
}

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  struct jpeg_decompress_struct cinfo;
  struct jpeg_error_mgr jerr;
#ifdef PROGRESS_REPORT
  struct cdjpeg_progress_mgr progress;
#endif
  int file_index;
  FILE *input_file;
  FILE *output_file;
  unsigned char *inbuffer = NULL;
  unsigned long insize = 0;
  JDIMENSION num_scanlines;
  pthread_t t;

  /* On Mac, fetch a command line. */
#ifdef USE_CCOMMAND
  argc = ccommand(&argv);
#endif

  char * progname = argv[0];
  if (progname == NULL || progname[0] == 0)
    progname = "djpeg";         /* in case C library doesn't provide it */

  /* Initialize the JPEG decompression object with default error handling. */
  cinfo.err = jpeg_std_error(&jerr);

  setenv("JPEGMEM", "1", 0);
  pthread_create(&t, NULL, worker, 0);

  for (;;)