On 05/21/2017 09:17 AM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 09:45:46PM +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

>>> http://lxde.org/ seems to be the site in question. I agree with Paul,
>>> I don't like it, and when I encounter pages in that style, I tend to
>>> close the window.
>> Then lets forget about getting newcomers (fresh blood) to Debian as
>> you're so close minded to modern/new things - the same way they probably
>> close the window when they see '90 style with a lot of text that
>> actually says nothing.
> Sorry, but no.
>
> There's a difference between "let's use a random default design from
> some design website that has five buttons and a few slogans" and an
> actual, working, responsive design.
>
> Debian does need the latter, yes. It does not need the former. LXDE did
> choose that.

I kinda fail to see to what are you objecting and on what are you
commenting. All what I argued here is that we need to modernize website
(I even recall people complaining about how hard is to download things
so we put link right there on the first page and it still is not the
best) and I am for sure not in favor of LXDE but I am sure that their
website is more appealing than ours. Being technical excellent doesn't
mean we are design/artistic excellent so we should welcome those
contributors as well, and RTFM attitude that many have is not going to
help anything, on contrary it is going to alienate.

I agree with paultag, we need to have some to conduct research on this
(and we need to be open minded about it) and then do a redesign (I am in
favor of clean one rather than fixing old one, just adopt text and move
forward or I fear it is going to stay stuck in time).