Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> writes:

> Thus, I'd recommend dropping lzip completely.  It's worse and obscure.
> With every distro having standardized on xz, providing lzip tarballs is
> a pure waste of space.

Personally, I don't see why anyone should care which compression formats
upstream provides as long as they also provide the one that a given person
wants to use.  Usually the process of producing the tarballs is automated,
adding a new compression format is thirty minutes (if that) of one-time
work, and as long as they have plenty of disk space to distribute multiple
copies, why not?

The only real downside is that compression formats do fade away again and
you may have to drop the compression format again if the tools aren't
available to keep generating it.  But as long as one is reasonably clear
about the reliably-available compression formats and the ones that are
just provided as "why not" and may disappear again, it's not too hard to
manage expectations there.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>