On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 04:24:03PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 08:41:10AM -0400, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > >
> > > I could change the default settings to set the minimum supported
> > > version as TLS 1.2. That is, act like
> > > SSL_CTX_set_min_proto_version() was called with TLS1_2_VERSION.
> > > That would allow applications to override this this by calling
> > > SSL_CTX_set_min_proto_version(). But then those are new
> > > functions in 1.1.0 and they probably aren't supported by many
> > > applications.
> > >
> > > An other alternative is to use the deprecated SSL_CTX_set_options
> > > options (SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1 | SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1_1) by default, but then
> > > there is probably no software that has support for clearing those
> > > with SSL_CTX_clear_options()
> >
> > Would it instead be possible to create an item in the openssl.conf file
> > to disable TLS1.2 by default? That way, users can re-enable TLS1.{0,1}
> > in cases where that's required, and you can drop TLS1.0 and 1.1 (and
> > possibly 1.2 even, if 1.3 has enough traction) in bullseye.
>
> I prefer this to be enabled on application basis, which is why I
> suggested the above ways.

Sure. If I read "man 5 config" correctly though, openssl should allow
per-application configuration file snippets to be read. A proper howto
page on the wiki or elsewhere could then explain users how they should
add such a snippet for their applications (and *only* for those
applications where it is required).

I'm afraid that if you leave this to application developers, some
applications will not do it, leading uninformed users to simply
recompile OpenSSL themselves (with TLS1.0 and TLS1.1 enabled), thereby
resulting in a system with reduced security for *all* applications,
rather than just the one where they need TLS1.0.

> OpenSSL has support for setting such a mimimum in a config file,
> I'm just not sure if it reads any section related to it by
> default, I think it doesn't.

That might be a good feature request then, I suppose.

Alternatively, you could make the default in the absense of any
configuration file be to *not* enable TLS1.2, but allow it to be enabled
by an openssl configuration change (which AIUI is not the current state
of affairs). That would work too.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab