]] Ivan Shmakov

>  >>> Package: dpkg-dev
>
>  >>> More and more packages are adding unicode files
>
>  >> I assume you mean “UTF-8 filenames” here (per below), right?
>
>  >>> as unicode support has become more reliable and available.
>
>  >> What are the use cases for such filenames?
>
>  > Accurate representation of what they contain.  wnorwegian contains a
>  > file «bokmål» which is the word list for the form of Norwegian known
>  > as bokmål.  There's a convenience link between it and bokmaal so that
>  > people without Norwegian keyboard (or without compose keys) can type
>  > it too, but the canonical name is bokmål, not bokmaal.
>
>       It does indeed seem natural, when it comes to packages providing
>       support for a specific language, to use filenames in that same
>       language; I’m not going to strongly object to that.  However,
>       I’d like to note that other wordlist packages appear to stick to
>       English (and ASCII) filenames.  For instance, wfrench uses
>       ‘french’ (instead of français) and witalian uses ‘italian’
>       (instead of italiano.)

Since Norwegian has two forms of the language, we ship two wordlists.  I
could have gone with «/usr/share/dict/norwegian - New Norwegian» and
«/usr/share/dict/norwegian - book tongue», but I suspect that'd be
considered less helpful than just using bokmål and nynorsk.

>       I’m still curious, are there any other uses in the archive
>       beside the above?

There are at least some files in the ca-certificate package that have
non-ASCII names, presumably since the CAs have non-ASCII names.

--
Tollef Fog Heen