Hi!

This probably doesn't help much, but for people who are doing things
by hand, you can skip the dependency on fuse by unpacking the
e2fsprogs source packaging, adding the file debian/rules.custom which
contains the single line, "SKIP_FUSE2FS=yes", and building by hand.

It currently doesn't automatically fix up the control file, but I can
set things up so that adding the rules.custom file with
SKIP_FUSE2FS=yes, and running "./debian/rules debian-files" will
automatically rewrite the control file dropping the fuse2fs
dependencies and the "fuse2fs" package from the control.in file.

Which might not matter that much, since when bootstrapping a new
architecture, it's all done manually anyway, so having a properly
update debian/control file might not matter that much.

Lately architectures tend to use automatic bootstrapping at least for
some of the initial dependencies.  Adding support for build profiles
(would be something like pkg.e2fsprogs.nofuse in this case) can help to
build just by using env variables when invoking dpkg-buildpackage or
other build tools.

Would you accept patches to achieve this in e2fsprogs?  It would
probably be quite clean, not complicating/obfuscating the packaging
files too much, usually only 2~10 lines (but I didn't look specifically
into this package yet).

(We can continue off-list, I thought that it's useful for other people
if they are not away of the above).

Yeah, it's horribly manual, but when you need to bootstrap a newn
architecture, it's all manual *anyway*.  And yes, it's a workaround
compared to dropping e2fsprogs from the essential set (for which I
still support), but it's a workaround that works today.  I suppose the
real problem is that a random developer who is trying to bootstrap
Debian on a new architecture won't know about this trick, but in case
it's helpful, I thought I would mention it.

Thanks, it's useful to know :)

(Waving to the RISC-V folks.)

o/

--