On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:12:04PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:12:51AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:58:04PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I know that this does create some problems for us, e.g. on the security
> side, but the alternative is, as you mentioned, manually installed
> software and that surely is worse.

No, I think it's better if people know they're on their own for maintaining
something. What's surely worse is when we ship stuff that we know we can't
properly maintain in the long term. Better to be out of the archive than in
without the expected level of quality.

Who said we cannot properly maintain this stuff?

Me, among others, based on experience watching what happens when this stuff is packaged. The current "build everything from live git" paradigm just doesn't work well for a package-based distributon with a multi-year life cycle. Lots of people have tried, performed heroically, and thrown in the towel when they realize the ongoing maintenance is even more work than the initial heroic effort.
Mike Stone