Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> > > I know for a fact that quite regularly licence checks on binNEW packages
> > > causes RC bugs to pop up.  I acknowledge it may be a burder for the ftp
> > > team, but that reason alone probably deserves to keep binNEW as it is.
> >
> > That would seem to justify some sort of randomized spot checks [..]
>
> Exactly.

Whilst it does seem a little odd, there is some merit the current system
where packages get essentially-arbitrary chosen for a cursory glance by a
member the FTP team.

The team is already rather time-limited so an expectation of DFSG-checks
of random packages already in the archive seems a little optimistic.

(Identifying various types of NEWness might still be marginally useful for
categorising new.html and similar interfaces, mind you.)

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb