Hi,

On 18-02-28 18:14:17, Marvin Renich wrote:
> If a user get to install his/her own plugins, they should go in the
> user's home directory, e.g. /home/user/.config/scheduler/plugins/.
> Non-root users should not generally be given write permission to
> /usr/local, and definitely not to /usr/lib.

See my separate mail: The term "user" used by me was misleading, I
guess, more appropriate would have been "admin".

> If the app takes care of installing the plugins on the user's behalf,
> that is slightly different.  However, if the plugin can be selected by
> the user from a non-trusted source, I would still go with the user's
> directory.  Allowing a non-root user to put his own plugin where
> others can execute it without being able (even required) to verify its
> integrity is a huge security hole.

The app doesn't take care of installing the plugins. This would be the
job of the admin, using whichever technique they're comfortable with.

> Ian's comments are good for admin-installed plugins that the users can
> use.  In fact there is good precedent for an app checking
> /usr/lib/pkg/... for plugins installed from Debian packages,
> /usr/local/lib/pkg/... for plugins installed by the admin from
> non-Debian locations, and then finally the user's .config/pkg/...
> directory.

I guess we'll go with /usr/local/lib/schleuder then? Does this sound
like a reasonable choice?

Thanks,
Georg