On 16.07.2018 15:14, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM Philipp Kern <pk...@debian.org
> <mailto:pk...@debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     rather than trying to appeal to authority like Marc - I could have been
>     wrong -, I will point out that my first point was not actually addressed
>     at all:
>
>     ++ mktemp -d /dev/shm/pw.sh.XXXXXXXXXXXXX
>     + WORKDIR=/dev/shm/pw.sh.JHasAYH9zwYz1
>     [...]
>     + decrypt /home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz
>     + local archive=/home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz
>     + local 'opts=--quiet --yes --batch '
>     + [[ -z '' ]]
>     + gpg2 --quiet --yes --batch --passphrase-fd 0
>     /home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz.gpg
>     + local err=0
>     + [[ 0 -ne 0 ]]
>     + tar -xzf /home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz -C /dev/shm/pw.sh.JHasAYH9zwYz1
>     + rm -f /home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz
>

> So, you have not looked at the code trying to follow the logic.

Of course I did. Can we stop with the ad hominems and implying that the
other party is stupid, please?

> You have just tried to debug it. This way you cannot get the full picture.
> But  nevertheless it is useful for finding ways to break the script.
> By the way, you may notice that *there is* error checking there.
>
>     This clearly writes the unencrypted tarball out to disk.
>

> It writes to `/dev/shm` which is not disk. It writes to a random
> temporary directory, so that it cannot be guessed. It removes
> the unencrypted content as soon as the operation is performed.
> All this happens almost instantly, it never stays unencrypted
> for a long time. It is almost the same thing as using a pipe (|).
> What is wrong here? I have been using it for 2-3 years and
> never had a problem.

No, it doesn't. /home/pkern/.pw/pw.tgz is not on /dev/shm. If it were a
pipe, there wouldn't be a problem. But alas, there isn't one and it
totally isn't the same as using a pipe.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern