On 8/16/18 5:24 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:31 AM, Steffen Möller wrote:
>
>> Would it make sense to join the
>> https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/getting_started/en/dev/reference/homescreen/index.html
>> crowd?
> Automotive and mobile are quite different form factors. Also, I'd
> expect that even if a car was running a Debian derivative or another
> Linux distribution, it would be locked down (either technically or via
> legal instruments) such that one could never gain control over the
> system to install plain Debian.
I do not necessarily want Debian in my car. But I could well imagine that
I want to continue working with an application that I had worked with
during a plane or train or car ride.
> That said, packaging AGL or other
> automotive components could be useful if we want to attract
> manufacturers to basing their systems on Debian and sponsoring
> DebConf. For end-users though, probably not so much.
It could well be in the interest of car manufacturers to see

more of their applications on people's desktops, indeed.

Cheers,

Steffen