> Or an user error.  In either case, I don't get what a 32-bit _x86_ virtual
> machine would be good for.  Are you teaching some code archeology?

Not at all.

We're trying to make it compulsory for first year students to have a Unix
installation on their personal machine.  In practice, this means any of
native Linux, native Mac OS, or virtualised Linux.  (We've found Cygwin to
be confusing, and we haven't looked at WSL.)

Since we're trying to get this to scale across a few hundred eighteen-year
olds (smart ones, thankfully), we're seeing all sorts of user errors.

-- Juliusz