On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 07:07:36PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mattia Rizzolo <mat...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Indeed, I was very bothered.
>
> > On the other hand, most of my reply to willy's mail was not addressed to
> > him, but to debian-devel@ at large, to have everybody else understand
> > how silly what he did was.  Replying to my email in d-private@ saying
> > "aye aye, I really want to go away" wold have been *far* more effecting
> > (even if process-wise I'd have preferred him click the damn buttons we
> > sent him) and his case would most likely already been closed.
>
> > Instead, he decided to throw such a bothersome mail in debian-devel.
>
> The general principle that I would advocate for here, though, is that if
> someone says clearly and explicitly "never contact me again," we should do
> what we can to never contact them again.

+1. This was a *very* clear message, in that respect, although I
certainly agree that it wasn't necessary to phrase it quite in that way.
A single sentence saying "message received", if at all, would have been
more than enough; the OP clearly wasn't interested in *why* Debian was
contacting him again after fourteen years, and any explanation to that
effect would only be a nuisance to him, anyway.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard