On 2018-11-22 00:33:25 +0100 (+0100), Svante Signell wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 13:09 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:52:22 +0100, Adam Borowski
> > <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:
> > > I am seriously claiming that RHEL is in the place Solaris was
> > > in 2010. Rapidly falling user share (like Solaris, it was
> > > ubiquitous in the past!), acquired by a company known for
> > > wringing dry a small number of lucratious customers -- just
> > > like Oracle.  This very scenario has repeated in the past for
> > > a number of other Unices.  Some developers (including The
> > > Lennart) already sound like they're mulling jumping ship
> > > <rumour warning>.
> >
> > RHEL is also the template for CentOS which has a huge user base.
> >
> > Debian, is, btw, also losing quickly for not keeping pace with
> > the world around it.
>
> In my opinion it is the other way around, rpm-based systems are
> decreasing.

At least for the corner of the tech sector I've been spending time
in recently, it seems like persistent systems are becoming
increasingly rare and piecemeal package-based software distributions
in general are being abandoned (or at best becoming implementation
details in some image build automation). Pointing fingers at other
distros isn't productive behavior, and certainly isn't a way to keep
ours relevant. It's like fighting over the last slice of cake on a
sinking ship.
--
Jeremy Stanley