Hi,

On Wed, 09 Jan 2019, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Pointers, please?  Let's see them and investigate.  The primary issue
> I've been aware of to date has been on Fedora systems, and it's due to
> some Red Hat specific changes that they made for FEDRAMP compliance
> --- and Red Hat has dealt with those issues.

In Kali I had to install haveged by default due to this problem.
We got reports of having to wait up to 5 minutes to get to their desktop.
We got reports of sshd not working on first boot (in fact just taking too
long to start).

https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=5124
https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4994
https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=5011

I haven't looked, but it seems likely that thin.service is trying to
generate some keys on initial startup. Which explains why it gets stalled.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer