    Guillem> On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 08:27:20 +0100, Ansgar wrote:
    >> Guillem Jover writes: > You are still conflating the concept with
    >> the deployment. The > underlaying properties of merging /usr is
    >> that the contents for > directories that are present in both /
    >> and /usr get merged into > /usr.
    >>
    >> No, I'm saying that you are proposing yet another different file
    >> system layout.  Which is quite simple to see: the file system
    >> would differ.
    >>
    >> You just claim it follows similar "ideas" in some way.

    Guillem> Again, no, the important part is that the contents get
    Guillem> *moved* properly and *automatically* within the .deb
    Guillem> packags,

This is the important part to *you*.

Other things are important to other people.
Instead of working to understand their requirements, you are saying
things  like "you are still conflating the concept with the deployment."

I ask you to please stop and to instead take the time to understand the
people who disagree with you.

I've found it's a valuable exercise to write up the position of those I
disagree with and get to a point where they say that yes, I've
accurately represented their position.
Then I can talk about why I disagree with that approach.
I urge you to do something similar here.

From where I sit, other people in the discussion actually value ending
up with the symlink from /bin to /usr/bin and from /sbin to /usr/sbin.

I can demonstrate that those symlinks have different technical
properties than a system without those symlinks.
Instead of debating those tradeoffs, you're using language like
"botched the final part," which don't actually lead to building
understanding and actually having a technical debate.

I urge you to work to understand those who disagree with you.

Thanks for your consideration,

--Sam