Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> writes:

> Except that we have different requirements than git.  Git isn't looking
> for security properties from SHA-1, so it's highly likely it'll meet
> their accident avoidance requirements long after it's no longer
> appropriate for security related assertions.

> I don't think adding more SHA-1 in a security sensitive context is a
> good plan.

I talked this over briefly in the security pod at work with some other
security engineers who know more crypto than I do to sanity-check my
initial opinion.

The consensus among all of us was that if you have an opportunity to pick
something other than SHA-1 when designing a new protocol, you should.  But
if it's not simple to pick a different hash, SHA-1 preimage resistance is
reasonable and the other design properties of the system should dominate
any concern about SHA-1 preimage attacks.  If the system is vulnerable to
collisions, that's another matter; there are viable SHA-1 collisions.  But
given the design described, I don't think it is.  (That said, designing
the system for hash agility if possible is certainly recommended.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>