On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 21:46:34 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

Hi Andreas and Jelmer,

I agree with everything you've said (and changed in the d/u/m spec
and in lintian-brush), thank you.

Just one remark, partly a note to self:

> > The idea that lintian is warning about those fields missing in
> > d/u/metadata is not sensible, neither that some tool adds the values.
> > It was some Wiki edit away[4] to ensure you about this that this stuff
> > is really in flux and its better to not waste time on this without
> > discussing it first.
> >
> > I'd be really happy if lintian-brush would remove those values (please
> > let me know if you want me to file a bug report about this).
>
> I've implemented this. lintian-brush will attempt to update these
> fields in debian/copyright only and remove them from debian/upstream/metadata.

That means that dh-make-perl and dpt-debian-upstream should also at
least stop adding the Name and Contact fields. I think this makes
sense, we've only added them because they were in the spec and we
already had the data, but they didn't make alot of sense to me (as
duplicates from d/copyright, as you both noted). -- In fact we are
only caring about Repository* and Bug* fields (the former were the
reason why we started to use d/u/m in the first place).

I'll make these changes in the perl tools; I'm just wondering, and
that's why I'm writing a public email :), if other tools and/or other
teams use these fields as well and should be notified. Or, in other
words, I fear that having this change only in some thread on -devel
might not be enough.

Cheers,
gregor, cc'ing the perl list as a start

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe