Philipp Kern writes ("Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats"):
> While this may be true on some level, it is also important to be able to
> build packages from checked-out source trees (say, git repositories)
> without an original source present.

Quite.

For example, if one wants to build binaries with sbuild, it is (right
now, anyway) necessary to build a source package because that's how
sbuild transports the source into the build environment.  Right now I,
horrifyingly, have to advise [1] users that in some circumstances they
should run this command:

    sbuild -c stretch -A --no-clean-source \
             --dpkg-source-opts='-Zgzip -z1 --format=1.0 -sn'

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dgit/dgit-user.7.en.html#Using_sbuild

Simon Richter writes ("Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats"):
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 09:42:50PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > Obviously I'm not bound to that format being "3.0 (native)" but some
> > "3.0 (dumb)" that just tars up the whole tree without caring about the
> > version scheme would then be nice to have as a replacement. ;-)
>
> Are you planning to upload these?

Obviously not to Debian.  I don't think that invalidates the point.
Users are supposed to be able to modify and build software on their
own systems without any expectation that the result will go to Debian.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.