On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 01:02:03PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:16:43PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > And, despite a massive amount of efforts from you and others, packaged
> > gitlab is not fit for Salsa use.  It hasn't also ever been in a stable
> > release of Debian, despite being around since a year before Stretch's
> > freeze.
>
> And even if there is a package, how do you plan to ask DSA to use it and
> run this service themselves?  Hint, as we told a hundred times before:
> Salsa runs on a DSA controlled machine, _without_ root.

Yet you use packaged exim, packaged postgres, packaged 1000-3000 other
pieces of software on a typical machine.  Those packages are good out of the
box.  They're stable and reliable.  Heck, you even use packaged git itself,
and it provides far far more functionality than a web interface to a small
subset of it.

And teams maintaining big important pieces manage to do their work despite
limited manpower.  It's just Gitlab and such that have a ridiculously bad
complexity-to-functionality ratio.

I thus stand by my point: I don't believe Gitlab will last, at least barring
some large-scale changes.  We've been there with Alioth.

> Let's compare it with other solutions:
>
> ## GitLab unicorn application
>
> * Ruby gems included directly: 199
> * Ruby gems included recursive: 333
> * node.js modules included directly: 113
> * node.js modules included recursive: 1760
>
> Of the Ruby gems, 6 are from GitLab itself and are maintained separate.
>
> With the listed software available everything is built from source.
>
> ## gitea
>
> * Go modules included: 122
> * node.js dependent projects vendored: 21
>
> I assume the vendored stuff can be rebuild using this:
>
> * node.js modules included directly: 8
> * node.js modules included recursive: 516
>
> ## pagure
>
> * Python modules required directly: 70
> * node.js dependent projects vendored: 16

## sr.ht

* unpackaged Python modules: 8
* node.js modules directly: 0
* node.js modules recursively: 0

It's in alpha stage, and uses a heathen snake-lover language I don't know,
but it's an example of a non-node.js implementation; engineering customs in
the node.js ecosystem are what I naively guess is the culprit here.

But, it's not a place for discussing alternate implementations (yet?), the
big question is: is Gitlab a sturdy enough foundation to _mandate_ or even
strongly recommend it for Debian workflows.  My response is a strong "no".

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ A MAP07 (Dead Simple) raspberry tincture recipe: 0.5l 95% alcohol,
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1kg raspberries, 0.4kg sugar; put into a big jar for 1 month.