On Fri, Oct 11 2019, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I have been told by docker users (I'm not one) that systemd as provided on
> Debian can't be used in docker.  I have no idea if that's true or not.  I try
> really hard to know as little about init systems as possible and trust our
> maintainers who work on such things.

That is a popular misconception.  Actually it is easier to make systemd
work well under Docker than sysvinit, and it doesn't require
--privileged.  I have a whole series of Debian Docker images that work
that way; see

https://github.com/jgoerzen/docker-debian-base

systemd nowadays even has explicit code to help with this.

I made sysvint work in the stretch and jessie days, but it was a real
pain and not at all friendly.  Have a look at my debian-base-minimal
code for how to make it work.

- John