Simon Richter <s...@debian.org> writes:

> I believe this GR is less about technical than about organizational
> aspects. If we want to fully adopt systemd, we need a faster policy
> process, which will disenfranchise users with less-common use cases,
> because there is no time to integrate their concerns (I'm also sceptical
> that we have the necessary influence upstream to alter the trajectory of
> development).

It's not clear to me whether we need a faster policy *process* or if we
just need more hands, but I completely agree that the current policy
process is too slow.  I haven't had much time to work on it for about five
years; if it weren't for Sean, it would have stalled entirely.  We still
don't have good documentation of triggers in Policy, and I think there are
major gaps in the documentation of multi-arch.  :(

If anyone reading this has thought about working on Policy and has been
driven away or turned off by something, please reach out either publicly
on the list or privately to me (and I suspect Sean would be happy to hear
from you too).  I'd love to know what drove you away, and think about
whether there's anything we can do about it.  Deciding what changes to
make involves some necessary social wrangling, and that may be the hardest
obstacle, but even hearing specifics about that would be helpful.

I also completely agree with Josh's message and with your other message
that we need to make a lot of decisions about what systemd features
packages can assume, or what workarounds they have to have in place if
they can't assume those features.  There are a variety of different
options here, ranging from requiring software be fully ported to a
sysvinit system before it can be packaged for Debian to assuming that all
Debian systems run systemd, with multiple interesting points in between.

I don't think a GR should attempt to resolve all of the specific details,
but I do think it should resolve where the project wants to be on that
spectrum so that we can then roll up our sleeves and start turning that
into specific policy guidance.  There is quite a lot to say in this area
(and that needs to be said), once we have that direction from the project
as a whole.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>