On 11/1/19 9:21 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> However, there are only a few
> really large public cloud providers and most of them are US companies.

I would count at least OVH as a "really large public cloud provider",
yet they aren't originally from the US. There's also countless small
OpenStack public clouds out there.

> I see that some see this as a good trend… but for me a cloud is… if not
> hosted by myself just the computer of somebody else who may or may not
> have my interest in mind. I am still trusting some others with hosting
> stuff for me, as many will do. For example my employer, regarding the
> mail server that will send this. Or disroot.org for example for
> Nextcloud storage. And another similar supplier for backup mail account.
> I donated to both of them.

There are many hosting models: renting shared hosting, a virtual
machine, a dedicated server, a few U in a rack, a full rack, or owning
your own data center. This is a business issue, not a free software /
vendor lock-in problem.

What I've been trying to tell for years, is that this problematic didn't
change with the cloud. Using someone else's cloud isn't a problem in
itself, if at least, the underlying technology is free software and you
can set it up by yourself, on permise, and if you make sure you can
easily move on to another provider (or to a self-hosted solution).

So, to sum-up: do not fear "the" cloud, fear closed source proprietary
solutions that lock you in, and use only free software, well known
implementations of IaaS.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)